Skin Cancer Community
Mole, self-diagnosed as atypical

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Mole, self-diagnosed as atypical

I am 25 years old female with fair skin and a lot of moles. Two or three of them look slightly different from the rest (they are more irregular in shape); however, they have been there from as far as I can remember. I had never observed them very closely until last year. I grew especially suspicious about one of the moles: small (less than 5 mm) mole with dark round, slightly raised center and light brown area around it. It has one hair growing out of it. I was especially that light brown outside irregular part that worried me. I believe it is simply an atypical mole, not melanoma. I have no skin cancer family history. I think it always looked like that but I can’t tell for sure since I had never examined it so closely (which is hard to do properly because it is on the back of my arm).  I didn’t go to doctor or dermatologist, it’s my self diagnosis. I said to myself that I will be observing this mole and if it won't show any sings of change, I rule out melanoma possibility. I have been observing it (with the help of family members) for more than a year now and I can’t see any changes in it. My question is: if a mole, (even atypical or looking like mine) does not change over time and looks basically the same, is it safe? Or may it still be melanoma which stopped to grow superficially and begin to ulcer? I am going to continue my monthly checking, but I would like to know if my reasoning is right here. I admit that I am rather an obsessive type. Is it possible that I have melanoma despite of lack of changes in mole appearance over a year of observation? If a mole has always been there and stays the same, could it still be melanoma? Should I go to dermatologist? Should I observe it on my own? I would appreciate any insight. Thank you in advance.
Tags: mole

Atypical means not typical and the cells are changed.  Atypical can be a pre-cursor to cancer and melanoma can kill.  Sorry to be so blunt, but having had a dozen atypical moles removed I am not sure I'd ever keep one intact to see if it turns to Melanoma.  Derma's will excise to clear cells with an atypical mole.  Nobody knows if it is atypical, normal, cancer w/o a biopsy.  Please see a doctor ... and let us know how you are doing.

" My question is: if a mole, (even atypical or looking like mine) does not change over time and looks basically the same, is it safe? Or may it still be melanoma which stopped to grow superficially and begin to ulcer"