Skin Cancer Community
Mole Inspection Tool

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Mole Inspection Tool

Last week I saw a dermatologist for a full body check.  She zoned in on a mole on my left arm.  She left the room and returned with a hand held tool that reminded me of a microscope.  Once she examined it with the tool, she told me she wanted to do a punch biopsy.  

Would someone be able to tell me the tool that she used to look at the mole closely?  

Thanks!
The instrument that your dermatologist used was a dermatoscope. It is one of the best instruments used to diagnose suspicious moles and melanoma.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hi Doctor Kaur!

Thank you for responding to the question I had about the tool used to examine my mole.  Unfortunately, the biopsy confirmed melanoma.  I'm meeting with a surgeon and oncologist this week to schedule surgery to remove the area and do a lymph node biopsy.

While I cannot control what's happening in my body, I can control my attitude towards the situation.  PMA.  Positive mental attitude is the goal!  I'll keep you updated!

Thanks again,
Ming365  
Read your post...hope all went well