Skin Cancer Community
Mole on Child's Foot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Mole on Child's Foot

7122474?1312468942
We live in Seattle, which more on less means socks most the year.  I had noticed this mole last fall and then forgot about it until this July when she took her socks off.  My daughter can't remember not having it (she is 12).  I think it is darker than last year, and larger, but I'm not sure.   My question is not whether to go to the doctor, we've gotten a referral from a GP to get it removed.  The question is, the first appointment is the 17th of August and the second is closer to September.  Now, hopefully this doesn't sound too shallow, but the 17th is in the middle of a planned vacation and will cost us about $1500 to make the appointment.  On the other hand I am quite worried.  The doctor we have seen (we are currently overseas) was not a dermatologist and we did not share a lot of common language, so I did not have any feedback beyond not waiting.  The peeling next to the mole--that is from a blister from new shoes.  
If your daughter can never remember not having it, maybe the difference between mid-August and late August is not significant.  You say you live in Seattle but are overseas and that is where you saw the doctor?  I would, if possible, get an appointment with a dermatologist or even a different doctor wherever you are, just to check how long you can wait to have it removed and whether the delay is likely to be significant.  A concierge at a good hotel can usually find you a doctor if you can't find one any other way.
This was a great suggestion.  We were easily able to find a dermatologist in Berlin and one that spoke English.  He did say he did not think the wait was significant and the mole was removed in September (10 stitches!) at a later appointment.