Skin Cancer Community
New Mole on palm of hand: what to do?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

New Mole on palm of hand: what to do?

Hi guys,

I'm going to see my GP next week but in the meantime I'd like to have some opinions from you guys.
I have this new mole on the palm of my right hand that has grown since I've noticed it first, although it probably hasn't grown in the past few months. the colour seems fine to me but the shape looks a bit awkward. It's not raised at all, and not sore.

I am going to see my GP about it because my young nephew (19 yo) had a mole removed from his foot and although they have excluded the melanoma, it was not a clear decision so they decided to take off the groin limph node to make sure all is ok.

So I am a bit paranoid about this new mole and would like to hear experts' opinions please. I'm 34 male.
Link to picture of the mole.

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/TheMinel/private/34a32b2c.jpg

Tags: palm, new mole
I'm not an expert but I just wanted to say good on you for being pro-active and doing something about this. Even if it was melanoma you would be catching it very very early.

You're right that it is irregular in border but the colour is even. It is also quite small and if it is not changing that is a very good clue.My husband has something similar on one of his toes and his doctor said it was fine. Maybe that's just the way normal moles look on the thick skin of feet or hands.

Good luck with your doctor's appointment and let us know how you get on, if you have time.
thanks, will let you know what the GP says, although I think I'm going to ask to see a dermatologist anyway.

It'd be great if a doctor could reply on here to have their opinion too
went to my GP, she asked if she could show it to another GP, than another. All 3 weren't worried about it but they referred me to a dermatologist due to my nephew's issue. It's not an urgent referral so it'll probably be 5-6 weeks till I go and see the dermatologist about it.