Painful "scab" on foot
I have had a painful sore on the outside of my left foot (almost on the bottom of my foot) for months now. It isn't much to look at -- it almost feels like it's under the skin. It looks a little bit like a little raised up scab but it's flesh colored (not red at all). It hurts especially if I hit my foot against something, or sometimes when I'm walking.

Does it sound like some kind of skin cancer? I don't have insurance so I'm afraid a dermatologist visit especially to get a biopsy would be very expensive. It's in kind of an odd place for skin cancer, but I want to be sure.
I would consult with a podiatrist.  It could be a bunnion, a seed wart, a ganglion cyst... without seeing and palpating it, it's just a guess.

If the podiatrist feels it's something more he'll let you know.  If there's nothing to see on the surface it's doubtful it's "skin" cancer.

Just an internet thought...
It's not a bunion , it's not cancer , Its not a ganglion cyst due to the location you described, ganglion cyst are most commonly on the wrist. It could possibliy be a wart. However your description to me describes a callus! A dermatologist will not biopsy it if they do I suggest you not go back! This can be treated by a podatrist but it will take some time! I suggest changing to a shoe that has a softer padding support.