Skin Cancer Community
Picked off a new mole- can I still be tested for melanoma?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

I recently spotted a new mole on my middle finger (1-2mm, light brown). I ended up picking it off my finger with my fingernails, and I really regret doing so because I should have had it looked at with a dermatologist when there was something to observe. This just happened yesterday, so there is a pink spot/healing skin where the mole was right now. I will be scheduling a dermatologist appointment as soon as I can, but I just can't get peace of mind at the moment.

1- Is there any way to definitively find out if this mole was or was not malignant melanoma? Since I picked off the mole, there is obviously no sample that can be biopsied.

2- Would having the area of the skin where the mole was, as well as the surrounding skin area as well, biopsied (or analyzed for traces of melanoma cells) be a viable option to definitively know if this was malignant melanoma?

3- If I had a chunk of skin removed where the mole used to be (as explained in #2), would that cause a functional or cosmetic deformity to my finger? The mole was on the middle joint of my middle finger, near the joint.

I appreciate you taking the time to read my post. Take care.
I had melanoma and hope my experience helps.  Bear in mind that this is just my observation, I am not an MD or have any training.  

I had a black freckle on my leg that I picked.  Part of it came off.  When the skin they shaved for a biopsy was tested, it came back as melanoma, even though most of the freckle was gone.  My assumption, to your question in #1 and 2, is that they can test for melanoma and find it if it exists, even if the freckle is gone (after all, if the cancer is there, it's there).  Second, to question #3, as to deformity, it really depends.  They don't need to take a huge sample so I doubt you'd see much difference.  However the skin tone might be different.  With the biopsies I've had done, some leave little pale circles and some I never see after they heal.  

Are you particularly prone to skin cancer?  Have you had it before?  Does your family have a history of it?  Do you burn and rarely tan?  If you're nervous, it's worth talking to a doctor, but it's probably okay, given what you describe  and if you have no history of it.  But your doctor should be able to help.  I hope this helps and don't worry :).  
Thank you very much for sharing your experience Des.