Skin Cancer Community
Red mark on back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Red mark on back

My husband has a mark on his upper back that has been there for quite a few months. It is pink, completely flat and smooth, with a couple of darker pink areas. It is around 1cm in size and not completely circular, it fades slightly if you press on it. It seemed to appear after I messed with a spot in the same place, I noticed after a few months that the spot really wasn't going, and now it is bigger than it was. He has been to the doctor who didn't seem concerned in the slightest, said it was most probably infected scar tissue from the spot, and gave him some steroid cream to put on it for two weeks. After trying that, it is still the same, although on some days when he was using the cream it looked to have faded a bit. Everything I look at on Google suggests it is a superficial basal cell carcinoma, and that is what it looks most like, but I'm not sure if that is just because it tends to come up with the worst case scenario. It is strange it hasn't gone in all this time. I'm just worried it is more than something benign.
I'd trust your doctor but doctors do expect you to come back if their recommended treatments don't work. Give it another month or so and if no change go back. My husband has lots of wierd lumps and bumps from old scars.

Take care.
Thanks Pum. I will do that. I'm quite reassured by how unconcerned the doctor was, and I'm sure he knows much better than me just seeing some photos on Google. Thank you again