Skin Cancer Community
Scratched a mole years ago, sore

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Scratched a mole years ago, sore

I scratched a mole about seven years ago and ever since then the area around it has been sore and will swell up if I squeeze it. When I squeeze it, it looks like there's something underneath it. Could this be cancer?
It can be a sebaceous cyst under the mole. It is filled with a soft, whitish brown material that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. This material is called sebum. Treatment includes small surgical opening into the skin and removing the sac (excision biopsy). But recurrence is quite common. I suggest you to get the diagnosis confirmed from a dermatologist after examination.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.