Skin Cancer Community
Should biopsy site still be hurting?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Should biopsy site still be hurting?

I had a shave biopsy last Monday on what the doctor thinks might be squamous cell on my leg.  She also froze two pre-cancerous sites on the other leg.  I was told to wash it daily by running soapy water over it, pat dry, put on polysporin ointment for 3 days and vaseline from then on, and keep it covered with a bandage.  The instructions say it should not form a scab but heal from inside out.  

My question is, is it normal for it to be hurting.  It hurt worse yesterday than the day after it was done.  It does seem to feel better today but I haven't done the washing and changing of the dressing yet.  I hope to hear from the doctor tomorrow with the results of the biopsy and I'll ask her, but the paper said it could be 7 to 10 days, in which case, I won't be hearing tomorrow, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience to share.

I had a melanoma on the same leg on the opposite side of the same leg 12 years ago.  Thankfully, it was caught in time to not metasticize though I had a very deep and wide surgical procedure and had to keep my leg propped up for 6 weeks.  If this new place is squamous cell, I hope it too has been caught in time.  I have so many health issues as it is, I dread the thoughts of facing another.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

I have found the shave biopsies to be more painful than the re-excisions done wide margin.  I, too, had an early melanoma caught early and numerous large shave re-excisions.  They tend to hurt worse quite a few days later; just be sure not infected, though.

The skin usually starts to heal with a rim of light pink.

I'm only a patient, not a Dr., so if concerned I'd call just to be sure.

C~
Thanks for the reply.  Your experience made me feel better about the fact it was hurting worse several days out.  It IS feeling better today.

Doctor called this morning with the results of the biopsy and it WAS squamous cell, but she thinks they went deep enough with the shaving that they got it all...and soon enough, so I'm glad I don't have to have more surgery or treatment on it.   I go back in 3 months to check on it and the two places on the other leg that she did cryosugery (?) on.

Thanks again for the reply and making me feel better about the pain.
I have found mine hurt 3-4days later worse when the swelling goes down .. then they tend to bruise up too .. I am sorry you had squamous results but very glad they got it all and not another melanoma!  

The 3 mos plan ... yep, me too.

C~
Me again.  It's been 4 weeks next Monday and the site has still not healed and still hurts some, and also a  bit of oozing.   I know I'm a slow healer due to age, an autoimmune disease, and medications including a steroid, so would it be normal to take this long for a shave biopsy for squamous cell to heal?  At one time, I think it was getting infected because there seemed to be some pus plus the redness all around it was hot, like feverish, but it is better now, just still not near healed IMO.   I thought the care instructions were rather weird anyhow.  The children have been after me to call the doctor but I've hesitated.

How long does it normally take for something like this to heal?

Thanks.

(I wrote a similar message a bit ago but when I signed in, I think I lost it so if it ends up coming through twice, I apologize.)