Skin Cancer Community
Skin cancer? Help please, very worried

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Skin cancer? Help please, very worried

I have a mark that has appeared on my arm in the past two months.  I am not sure exactly when it appeared, but I know it was not there when I was on holiday at the end of July.

I guess it looks like a mole, but is a funny shape, a bit like a 'tear drop' but not as neat. It is a pale brown colour, like that of a normal mole, but sightly pink at the wider end. It was completely flat, but over the past week, the wider, pinker area has raised slightly, like there is a spot forming underneath but has not emerged. It is about 4.5mm in length. It does not hurt or bleed, itch, nor is it flaky or dry.  I am only aware of it as I can see it.  

I am very worried about it as I used to go on sun beds in my early twenties and live in fear of the damage it may have caused. I am 31 now. I have booked a doctors appointment for late next week, but it's worrying me so much I cannot sleep which is why I have joined this forum. I am convinced it's something nasty. I know your advice will be to just get it checked by the doctor, but what I want to know from you is: when this type of mole comes up, it's it more likely to be skin cancer than not? Or can something of this description, that just crops up, still turn out to be harmless?  I.e, if you have a mole that perfectly fits the 'ABCD' criteria, does that automatically mean it's going to be cancerous? Or can people have moles that fit the ABCD criteria but turn out to be benign?

Would love some advice please. Thank you very much.
You should keep an eye on this mark. If you notice changes in the mark’s color, height, size or shape, you should have a dermatologist evaluate it. You also should have it checked if it bleeds, oozes, itches, appear scaly, or become tender or painful.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.