Skin Cancer Community
Some skin cancer questions please...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Some skin cancer questions please...

My grandmother is 78, and has been told she has two spots on her arms (one on each) that the doctors are certain are cancerous. They're removing them both on Thursday and they will be sent for biopsy. I should mention that she also was diagnosed with follicular and Hurthle cell thyroid cancer last year, and just completed her first round of (strong) radiation (internal) in January.

The first spot on one of her arms is about as big as a dime, and it is almost plaque-like, half of it is crusted over and would remind you of eczema.

The second, to my mind, looking at photos etc... looks like melanoma. It's probably not quite as big as a dime,  quite thick, raised, very dark brown (almost black), most of it is raised, some flat... basically looks like most photos of melanoma you find on Dr. Google.

So, assuming the second one is Melanoma, what is the treatment? What is the survival rate?
And what type of cancer does it sound like the first one is?

They didn't tell her anything other than they're sure they're both cancer, they're taking them Thursday, if it's cancer they can treat it, but didn't get into what would be involved etc...
Treatment of melanoma depends on many factors like age, site, thickness of tumor, bleeding or ulceration at the primary site or metastasis of the cancer. Usually early stages require surgery and adjuvant interferons, late stages may require surgery apart from chemotherapy and radiotherapy if there is metastasis.

Until and unless the biopsy results come out, nothing can be said about the other red spot also.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.