Skin Cancer Community
Spot touching upper lip

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Spot touching upper lip

I really wish I could post a picture of this... it started as a pin-dot of red and has grown over 6 months time to about the size of a orange seed.  At first I thought it was spider veins, but the area has thickened and keeps forming a orange colored crust and is tender when I carefully wash the crust away.

It looks for all the world as if I have a spot of spaghetti sauce dried there.

My husband just recently started a job after being unemployed for 2 years and we will not be able to get health insurance for another month, so I cannot even have it looked at out of pocket because the insurance will not cover any pre-existing conditions for 120 days after insurance starts.

Does this sound like it could be skin cancer or possibly oral cancer of the lip?

I am a smoker and have been for 30 years, so I know the risk is definitely there, but I am really unsure as to what to do at this stage.  If I have it looked at before we get insurance and it is cancerous then treatment will be delayed at least 120 days or they could refuse outright to cover me, or I can wait 2 months (one month to sign up and another month to wait before it starts) but any more delay could have ramifications.

If anyone could give advice on if this sounds like something other than cancer (I already know it is not a cold sore) please let me know.
I think you know the answer. A sore that doesn't heal is a definite red flag for cancer so you need to see a doctor.

I don't understand the health insurance situation in your country sorry (I am not in the US) apart to say it sounds a dreadful situation to find yourself in and I hope there is some way you can see a doctor and not find yourself too out of pocket in the long run.

Take care.
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz41/Coraline_Wanders/thespot.jpg is a picture of it (not very good, had to take it with my phone)