Skin Cancer Community
Terrified of Melanoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Terrified of Melanoma

As you can probably see by my username, I have problems with anxiety especially over my health.

I am a 21 year old male and over the past 2 years I've been having problems with blood in my bowel movements. After constantly being told that it's just haemorrhoids, I finally got an appointment for a colonoscopy. Today, I had an appointment with a doctor before the procedure. He saw a mole on my stomach and said that it should be removed. I believe that I have had this mole since birth or at least from a very young age. As far as I can tell, the mole has not grown at all or if it has it has grown only slightly. I never considered it to be dangerous at all and always assumed it was just a birthmark.

So, like I always do, I did research online about this mole and what it could mean. Turns out my mole matches pretty well with what melanoma looks like. It's not symmetrical and quite variant in shades of brown. It is not raised above the skin and maybe about 1cm in diameter. It is on my left side of my abdomen, right above where my colon probably is. I am extremely worried now that it is melanoma and it is maybe growing beneath the skin, into my colon, causing blood in passing stools.

I don't know, I'm so worried.