Skin Cancer Community
Worried about the moles on my girlfriend, please help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Hi guys, I've known my girlfriend for over a year and a half now, and have always known that she's had lots of moles on her. Not an insane amount, but a few big ones in some places. She goes to the dermatologist often whenever she sees a new one pop up, and she is very fair skinned. Like, no mistaking that she is definitely of caucasian origin. I heard that having a lot of moles and being fair skinned are both big risk factors in developing skin cancer. I'm a hypochondriac who freaks out about all health issues, and now I am seriously scared about her ;___;.

I don't want her to get skin cancer, and apparently she's had this mole problem since she was a child. What's her chance of getting something like melanoma? ;________;. It's going to drive me crazy now, I want to tell her that I'm worried about her, but I know I shouldn't because she's not stupid, and she has of course known about her mole problem for a while if she's been going to dermatologists. So me reminding her that she has a higher risk of getting skin cancer won't do any good, and will probably only make her depressed and/or worried.

I just feel like it could strike at any time, and that when it does, it'll be at a point where we're not focused too much on them, and she'll die because of it. ;___;
Tags: Cancer, moles, girlfriend, fair, Skin
Oh dear. She is doing all the right things. Even people with a previous melanoma only visit dermatologists every 6 months or so. They often are slow growing to begin with and at that stage are completely cureable.

It sounds like your worrying are the real issue. I do understand as my husband has a strong family history so I worry about him and our son. All you can do is be vigilant and put it in perspective. At least it is a cancer that you can see, not like those ones that grow inside you and don't cause trouble until much later in the piece.

Maybe her getting a mole map annually would put your fears to bed.

Good luck.