Skin Cancer Community
mild dysplastic but 'just to be safe' and area of damaged ski...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

mild dysplastic but 'just to be safe' and area of damaged skin

My dermatologist office just called to say the teeny, tiny mole they removed came back mildly dysplastic nevus but the nurse said he wants to do a larger incision 'just to be safe' because it was in 'an area of damaged skin'.  

What do they mean by 'area of damaged skin'?  Now I'm thinking the mole was located in some skin that showed it was becoming BCC or SCC.  He wasn't even going to remove it, but I insisted so the area must not look weird!  

I'm a horrible worrier.
Derm had taken only the tiny mole and pathologist felt sure there were clear margins but since that area was a sun damaged area, they said let's just make sure we got it all.  
Whenever there is any suspicion, the surrounding skin and the margins of the mole are cut. If your doctor feels the need to take additional samples from the surrounding skin, he should go ahead with it.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.