Skin Cancer Community
new small mole lined in black spots?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

new small mole lined in black spots?

I am a fair skinned type of person with lots of freckles and I burn very easily.
A few weeks ago, I noticed a few mole that had formed on my upper forearm. I noticed this because it was a little itchy despite the fact that it was so tiny (about the size of a ball point pen tip). I checked it on Monday and was a little concerned because I noticed it had a single smaller black spot on the outer edge of the mole. I checked again yesterday and there was an entire ring of tiny black spots surrounding the outer edge of this mole. The mole also almost looks like a freckle, only it is raised. And it is a little bit bigger than it was a couple off weeks ago (about 1.5 mm... so still kind of small).
Anyhow, I call my dermatologist yesterday and because of a cancellation they got me in the same day to have it checked. Unfortunately, right before I went in I was scratching this thing because it itched and I noticed a very small layer of skin come off the top and I was able to scratch the little black things away.
So, I am confused as to what they were? My dermatologist thinks this spot is fine and she said if I was able to scratch the black spots off then it's not a cancerous spot. For some reason that logic doesn't seem very clear to me, maybe because she just didn't explain herself well. She did decide that I should come back in a month to double check a mole on my back that had grown a little. I am not so concerned about the mole on my back, I am concerned about what the black things were on the new mole on my arm because a day later they are coming back.

Any thoughts from anyone?
The best thing is to leave it alone for a month and then get her to recheck it when she's looking at the one on your  back. Your dermatologist is an expert in these things and if she's not concerned then neither should you be. But keep that appointment about the one on your back.

The black spots could have been due to an injury. Blood under the skin often looks black. Or sometimes moles change colour with your cycle or pregnancy (if you're a woman). A quick change in colour (days to weeks) is less likely to be cancer than a slower change (weeks to months).

Take care.
Thanks. The spot on my arm now just looks like a typical mole. And i have been able to check out it the spot on my back. Definitely looks different from last time i oaid attention to it. So, yeah, that seems like the one to watch.