Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
11 yr old daughter not sleeping.

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

11 yr old daughter not sleeping.

About 6 months ago, I discovered that my daughter was not sleeping well.  She has been diagnosed with having Oppositional Defiant Disorder, ADHD, Anxiety, and mood disorder (most likely childhood bipolarism), and now a sleep disorder.  Since finding out about the sleep disorder we are now questioning the ADHD, anxiety and mood disorder, because we are told she is a walking zombie and we don't know if thats why she behaves the way she does. She has a very high IQ but is not functioning well in school.  Half the time we can't even get her out of bed to go to school in the morning. She has problems falling asleep and then when she does finally fall asleep she wakes frequently until some time in the night when she crashes like the dead and then there is no waking her.  She has several doctors trying to help her.  She sees a therapist weekly, she also sees a developmental pediatrician, and a pulminary/sleep doctor.  She takes an anxiety med and clonidine (sleeping med) every night.  She is on the maximum dose of sleeping meds and we've tried melatonin with this and also benadryl. She should be passing out at night, but she isn't.  I'm at my wits end as a mother.  She has had 2 sleep studies. The first showed she needed tonsils and atenoids removed, so we had them removed.  Still no sleep.  Then we did the 2nd study and they said she was having central apneas and she needed and MRI.  We had the MRI done and it was normal.  We have spent thousands of dollars with her medical needs and still we have no answer.  My daughter can't function half of the time because she is so tired.  I'm still waiting to hear back from sleep study doctor as to what to do next, but I'm tired of waiting and decided to see if anyone has had similar issues and if you can give me any idea as to what to do next.  We have tried everything from warm baths, soft music, meds, etc.  Please help!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Coincidentally, I just did an interview about this topic:

http://doctorstevenpark.com/sleepy-teens-expert-interview-with-dr-kasey-li