Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
23 month old son snoring/mouth breathing

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

In late November we noticed that he was snoring. Early December we take him to the pediatrician because he seemed to be having a cold and the doctor told me he had another ear infection....he just had an ear infection in late October. Still didn't mention the snoring to the ped ( I forgot). So the next day I call the doctor's office, and I mention to her that the baby has been snoring and breathing through his mouth....and she tells me to use the humidifier for a couple of days. If it doesn't work after a couple of days she would need to see him.
On this visit, she finds that he has a throat infection. He had swollen tonsils and white stuff on his tonsils. So she gives him Prednisone for five days and antibiotics for ten days (by the way the lab results came back negative for Strep). Baby seemed to be sleeping better at first, but apparently all that white stuff didn't go away. They test him for strep (again) and the ebv virus...negative. Now the pediatrician reffers me to the ENT doc. After one look in his mouth, he says that he thinks it could still be some type of bacteria so he puts him on another round of antibiotics (4th round since late Oct). Snoring seems to diminish,and the white stuff infection goes away.... but a couple of days after finishing the antibiotics....snoring and mouth breathing starts again. By this time I have also noticed that the baby tosses and turns a lot during his sleep and seems to take "pauses" during his breaths.
I go back to the ENT (two and a half weeks after initial visit) and tell him all this. With no hesitation he says that the baby's tonsils need to be removed and maybe even his adenoids (adenoids). I am unsure of all this so I discuss it with the pediatrician and she evaluates him again and recommends the same thing. She educates me on how the baby's tonsils are a size 3 and that ..the tonsils obstructing his air way.

What if it is a sinus issue or allergies?
Can he grow out of this problem?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Your child's simple cold probably caused the tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) to grow bigger, but that's what's causing more frequent obstructions, suctioning up normal stomach juices into the throat causing more tonsil inflammation. This causes the sinuses and ears and nose to become more inflamed and swollen, aggravating even more throat collapse. Allergies can also cause nasal congestion, which can cause the throat to close down, suctioning up more juices into the throat. Ultimately, regardless of what started it, it's now a vicious cycle. Yes, some children grow out of their tonsils, but be aware that every time he stops breathing, there's lack of oxygen to his brain, which can be dangerous. Talk to your ENT and pediatrician about this issue. I realize it's not an easy decision to make.