Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Adult chronic night terrors?

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Adult chronic night terrors?

I have been having this problem for about 6 months. I am a 22 year old female, in fairly good health and have always slept fine up until this. EVERY night without fail, I wake up anywhere from 1-4 times with these horrible night terrors. I dream about the most gorish, horrific, painfully terrifying things and wake up either screaming, thrashing around until I fall out of bed, or gasping and choking for air until my current boyfriend grabs me and shakes me awake. Then I fall back asleep, and it happens again. I have never had night terrors before, not even when I was little, so these really scare the hell out of me that I can dream such awful, violent things, and it is interrupting my sleep schedule so that me and my boyfriend never get a good nights rest, and is affecting our performance during the day. Right before these started I got out of a very bad, abusive relationship of 3 years, and the guy I am dating now is the first guy that had actually been just NICE to me in a very long time, and he suggested that maybe I am just so traumatized from the last relationship this is my body's way of dealing with it. Any suggestions? Tips? anything I can take to just...zonk out and have a dreamless sleep every night? prescription or otc? Thanks everyone.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
There are many explanations for night terrors, but one good possibility is that you stop breathing while you're in REM sleep, since that's when your muscles are most relaxed. Sleeping on your back, eating late or drinking alcohol, all aggravate this condition. If conservative options don't help, consider seeing a sleep doctor.
A related discussion, why do i feel the contact of my night terrors? was started.