Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Alergic Reaction on face from CPAP mask

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Alergic Reaction on face from CPAP mask

I seem to have developed an alergic (allergic) reaction to my cpap mask.  I have little red bumps on the right side of my face only in areas where the mask hits my face, ie. the silicone seal.  What can I do to avoid this other than obviously not use the mask?  Are my symptoms consistent with a mask alergy (allergy)?  My Dr. says its an alergic (allergic) reaction and said to get a non alergenic mask.. I don't know where.  The bumps are ITCHY and tend to be in tight little circles, some what like acne.  I  am using a prescription cream all mometasone furoate cream which has little effect.  Any advice appreciated.  Thanks Jeff
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Your first option to to talk to your DME vendor and see if there are other options. You can cover things up or use various makeshift options, but the best way to to use a mask that doesn't irritate your face.
I too use a CPAP mask and have also have a problem with it causing pimples and other marks on my face not counting the fact that the mask lines remain on my face for many hours after making it awkward to go out in public where people do look at me wondering what I have done to myself I suppose.  Who in heck needs to have deep ruts in their face for up to eight hours after getting up?  I would rather not wear the mask at all rather than look like some kind of weird freak.

No matter how I have adjusted the mask it leaves marks or blemishes ... until now.

I spoke to my CPAP therapist but she really wasn't much help.  I ended up coming up with my own solution.  My skin must be sensitve to what the mask is made of (allergy and irritation) so despite what anyone else has to say I have been wearing the mask backwards to the way it is supposed to be worn.  LOL

It is working ... it is up off of my face and I have bent the parts that touch my cheeks outward.  Although it does not fit snug it does fit and once I am in postion to sleep it doesn't move until I lift my head and since I don't roll around in my sleep due to neck and back problems it is usually secure until I wake to turn over.  (I always wake to turn over or suffer pain from my neck and back.)

I no longer have the blemishes or marks on my face and am still getting the benefits of the CPAP equipment.  What other solution is there other than throwing the dang thing at the wall and saying to heck with it ... and believe me I have been tempted but I like the air and all it's benefits so I am inclined to do it this way.  :)

Hope this helps.  BTW ... I have an under the nose cushion and also a partial face one ... I don't wear the partial face one because of the lines on my face after ...