Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Are the two related?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Are the two related?

In the last month, I can recall two times where I've been woken up due to the fact that I couldn't breathe and was gasping for air. I could breath, it just felt like it was hard to do and I wasn't getting enough air in. But also, those two times I could remember having a bad dream also. I was wondering if my dream sent me into a panic mode or is it something totally different.
Related Discussions
It sounds like you're having obstructive episodes. Depending on how long you stopped breathing before you woke up, it could have been an apnea. Apnea means that you stop breathing for 10 seconds or longer and then you'll suddenly wake up, gasping or choking. The reason why your dreams are so vivid is that REM sleep (when you're dreaming) is the state when your muscles are most relaxed. This is the time when you're most likely to stop breathing and wake up.

These episodes are typically treated as panic attacks, and quite often, patients are placed on anti-anxiety medications rather than diagnosing and treating an underlying sleep-breathing problem.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank