Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
CPAP Trouble

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

CPAP Trouble
Good morning Dr.
I was just recently diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. I have already known that I have Chiari Malformation, and am pretty sure that that's why I have sleep apnea. Anyhow, I'm sure you hear from people all the time how uncomfortable the mask could be. My problem's a little more severe. If I try to use the mask, I often wake in the middle of the night because my nose becomes stuffed and I can not breathe at all. I usually rip the mask of my face to breathe through my mouth. What could I do to make my sleep more comfortable?

I hardly ever use the CPAP for fear of waking like that, but I am now again experiencing terrible daytime sleepiness, my never goes away headache, and I always wake sweating profusely. I know this is because my oxygen dips, as it did in the polysomnography to 69... I am only 31 years old. Please help! If my days are filled with pain and so many other terrible symptoms, I at least need good sleep. I've been sleeping about 12-15 hours daily, in cat naps round the clock.
Worried,
Sabrina
Talk to an ENT doctor about your nasal issues. Having a stuffy nose can prevent proper usage of the CPAP machine. He or she can also help you with the runny nose problem. Good luck.
I also often wake in the middle of night with watery drainage from my nose. It's not congestion or phlegm, and it pours out. When I wake like that, I automatically assume it's a nose bleed, but it's always clear fluid.