Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
CPAP allergy?

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

CPAP allergy?

I seem to get congested and a stuffy nose when I go to sleep with my CPAP.   Currently I have chest congestion and a cough, so it is even worse than usual.  I am not sleeping as I keep taking off the CPAP to blow my nose or to cough.  Could I be allergic to the CPAP, or the dirt or germs in the tubing, or to the air that is sucked in thru the CPAP?   No matter how good I feel in the day.....I get worse at night?   Help Please.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
There are a number of different possibilities. One is that the air pressure itself may be irritating your nasal passageways, with an allergic type of response. Another possibility is that there's something either inside the machine or a material that you're sensitive to. You may have to do some detective work to find out. If your CPAP pressure is not effective, it can make your sleep apnea worse, leading to cough or nasal congestion. You should talk to your sleep doctor about optimizing your sleep apnea treatment.
I was having the same issues when I first started using my CPAP.  I stopped putting water in and it's been great sleeping ever since!