Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Can't sleep more than 1-1/2 to 2 hours at time

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

I have sleep apenea and use a CPAP machine, but even with the machine I am awaken by pain or having to go to bath room every 1-1/2 to 2 hours to urniate. During day time I can't control bladder and have to go every 1-1/2 to 2 hours and some times just dribble. I have no strong bladder pressure, it just seeps out of me, not a strong flow.
This is wearing me out. can someone help? Due to dislocated hip and back problems I have chronic pain, for this I take strong opiods (durgesic, percocet, and xanax), but these don't get rid of pain nor lessen it very much. Pain lots of time wakes me up also.
I have discussed this with my family doctor, but he wasn't concerned saying it was due to me being 59 years old.
I feel something else is wrong, but what do I do? What kind of doctor would I see?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Sorry to hear about your situation. It's a difficult place that you're in. It seems like you have two major issues to deal with" sleep apnea and chronic pain. You should seek out doctors in both areas that can help you with your problems. Lack of deep sleep lowers your pain thresholds, causing you to wake up often, despite being on CPAP. Having pain wakes you up more often, which lessens your sleep efficiency. It's a vicious cycle.