Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Choking on Saliva in Sleep
About This Forum:

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Choking on Saliva in Sleep

I'm a 34 year old male in general good health.

I'm frequently waking with a gasp from my sleep after inhaling small amounts of saliva which trigger a cough and choking. The cough often lasts throughout the day. I often spend the rest of the day clearing my throat and feeling as though I'm producing a very thin, clear sputum from my lungs. The feeling is not one of acid, burning or reflux.

I do not smoke and consume only moderate amounts of alchohol.

Are there any measures I can take to prevent it happening? (Pillows, diet etc). I also suffer from anxiety and I'm worried that if I go to my GP with this symptom he'll consider it to be needless health anxiety.

FL