Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Constantly yawning all day

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Constantly yawning all day

I am always yawning.  I have been this way most of my life, as long as I can remember.  I am usually slightly tired most of the day and yawn every few minutes.  This happens weather I get a lot of sleep or very little sleep.  As long as I am getting enough sleep, I feel tired and yawn most of the day, but never have other problems.  When I don’t get enough sleep, I feel drowsy and sometimes fall asleep while watching TV.

I am a 30 year old male in generally good health.  I work out 2-3 times a week.  I have allergy induced asthma, but only really have problems from cats. I sleep well, fall asleep quickly, and usually sleep all night. I am slightly overweight, but my primary MD says no concerns. He did suggest some natural sleeping pills (melatonin) to see if I get better sleep and yawn less, but said it’s probably just that I yawn more than others.  The pills didn’t seem to make any difference.

My wife thinks I must have sleep apnea and that is why I yawn all day.  She thinks I should do a sleep study.  But she also says I almost never snore.  She said maybe once a month, I roll on my back and snore and she will elbow be and I roll on my side and stop.

What makes me even more curious is my dad has to be on O2 when he goes to a high altitude due to an auto-immune disease he contracted during a blood transfusion many years ago. He told me to try his O2 for a few days and see if it helps.  When I was on it, at a setting of 2, I didn’t yawn at all, or feel as tired.  Still fell asleep normally.  When I got off the O2, I went back to my yawning and feeling tired.

It sounds to me like I am just not processing my air well, or not breathing enough (is that possible).  What do you think it could be, what tests should I do?  Could it be sleep apnea?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It's definitely possible that you could have obstructive sleep apnea. You don't have to snore at all to have sleep apnea. It sounds like you naturally like to sleep on your side or stomach, which means that your tongue falls back more when you're on your back. Poor breathing while sleeping can definitely aggravate your yawning. Interesting results with the oxygen. I think you should see a sleep doctor to get checked for sleep apnea.