Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Do the presence of RERAs automatically mean sleep apnea?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Do the presence of RERAs automatically mean sleep apnea?

My polysonogram showed the major sleep disruptions came from RERAs (77). THe RDI was 25 but the AHI was 5.  The majority of sleep disruptions were from RERAs. There were some hypopneas (21) and no apneas. Of a total sleep time of 3.9 hours I achieved REM for .5 hours. The diagnosis was moderate sleep apnea.

I thought if the AHI was low that it indicated UARS, not sleep apnea. And I didnt achieve much REM sleep.

I believe my sleep is fragmented. After two months of cpap I still don't feel that great; very tired in the am and it takes awhile to get fully functional. My AHIs are routinely less than 2.

What is the current thinking regarding RERAs and the diagnosis of sleep apnea/UARS? I am wondering if I should be taking a different approach to my sleep problem.