Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Feel tired and foggy all the time, any ideas?

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

I have sleep apnea, but it isn't severe (down to 2-3 episodes an hour with autopap) so I don't really know if it is the cause of my fatigue.

My problem is that I feel tired and foggy all the time. So based on the following information, an ideas or suggestions would be extremely appreciated!

I am an 18 year old male in very good shape. I also eat very well, take a multivitamin (and take an extra b vitamin but doesn't seem to do much.) I lay in bed to try and get 10 hours of sleep every night. I always have a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep through the night, but even when I only wake up a couple times I still feel tired.

I try to do all the good sleep habits, but it doesn't matter. I'm not depressed or severely addicted to caffeine or anything.

My medical problems: asthma (I have an inhaler and advair), psoriasis, degenerative disk disease, sleep apnea (I use an autopap every night)

I realize its likely that it has something to do with my apnea, but that makes me wonder if there is even anything I could do about it, aside from surgery, and it also I am still very tired even when I don't have too much of a problem with it on some nights.

My doctor gave me nuvigil for it and reccommended I get another sleep test with my machine, but the test is really expensive and I can't really afford it. And while the nuvigil makes me feel 100000% better it makes it utterly impossible to sleep at night so I end up more tired than ever.

I had some tests done a while back to see if I had mono or some metabolism issue (not sure exactly what they tested) but they were all negative.

So if you have any ideas as to what the problem may be or at least what to do next I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Grant
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Some doctors would argue that you should get your AHI down below one in your Auto PAP machine. However, that's going to be very difficult. Your situation is complicated, but there are a few issues that sometimes are found to help with the fatigue:

Even if your thyroid levels are normal, you could be functionally hypothyroid. Make sure you get your B12 levels checked as well. Some men have low testosterone levels. If you have any nasal congestion, then that should be taken care of definitively.

Without examining you and looking at your complete history, it's difficult to make a recommendation. However, keep looking, and eventually, you'll find something that helps you to feel better.