Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
I woke up and couldn't breathe for like 15 seconds or more!

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't breathe; well it was more like I was gasping for air and only the smallest amount was getting into my lungs, almost nothing so I could hardly breathe! I am a 20 year old female, a little over weight, but otherwise healthy. Why is this happening to me? is it sleep apnea?
There are a number of reasons for what you experienced, but an obstructive breathing episode is one good possibility. Others include asthma or panic attacks. If your condition keeps coming back, you should consider seeing a sleep doctor.
Thank you very much for your answer. I have since visited my local GP/Dr and he told me the same thing, he said if it happens to me again, he will send me off to a sleep study. Thanks again.
A related discussion, Same thing happened to me was started.