Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Is extreme fatigue and light headedness related to sleep apnea?

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Hello, i had a question regarding Sleep Apnea. I have been suffering from fatigue for almost 2 years now, at first the fatigue/exhaustion was not that bad, but definitley noticable. As the next 2 years progressed, i am at a point now where i am so exhausted all the time, as soon as i get home i just want to lay down. When i walk up the stairs my legs are just weak, as well as my body. It seems hard to do anything. I still have my strength, its just a hassle to have to use it. Im also groggy all day and light headed at times, as soon as i wake up i want to go right back to sleep. Its just so hard getting out of bed. I can sleep up to 12 hours easily, but i rarely take naps unless i only get 3-4 hours of sleep that night. Its kind of like a zombie like/sedated feeling. I also have trouble concentrating, slight memory problems, just not as sharp as i used to be. I had a mri on the head 2 years ago when i first started noticing the trouble concentrating and light headedness, everything was normal. Just recently i saw my new doc and he ordered a sleep study, said apnea is probably the cause.When the symptoms first started 2 years ago my roommates used to say i snored like a bear, i even had my door closed. I can recall several times where i wake up at night with no breath at all, i would jump out of bed really not knowing what to do because of lack of air, but slowly the air came back. I also wake up a few times a week kind of gasping because i think im choking on something, this usually causes me to choke and try to unlodge something i think im choking on but there is never anything there. Does this sound like Apnea? Thanks
It sounds like you may have a breathing problem at night, but I can't say for sure it's obstructive sleep apnea. You should see a sleep specialist about this.