Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Is this sleep apnea?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Is this sleep apnea?

Every so often when I'm just about to fall asleep I get a feeling that starts in my chest and radiates to my head.  I can only describe it as a flushing/fluttering feeling.  Or the feeling you get when you're meditating and going into deeper relaxation.  I get this flushing/fluttering feeling in my chest and then feel like I can't breath and my eyes open quickly. This seems to happen as I'm falling asleep, not when I'm completely asleep.  It happens infrequently, but has happened more recently since I'm on a course of Metronidazole for an infection.  I am 51 year old female of average weight.  I do not snore, but have told I breath heavily as I sleep.  The flushing feeling is kind of scary and makes me wonder if I will awaken at all if I fall back to sleep. So it is a concern.  My mother has sleep apnea and uses a breathing machine.  Thank you for your advice.