Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Not sure if this all can stem from sleep apnea

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

I have recently signed up to go to a sleep clinic to be checked for Sleep Apnea. I stop breathing in my sleep and It sounds like i am chocking. I snore VERY loudly and I have had a few other problems starting to stem out. I always sound like I have a stuffy nose-even though I have no congestion. After my first one on one with the Dr. that will be doing my study he pretty much confirmed right away that I have sleep apnea. My appointment is not until mid july and like a said, a  few other problems are really starting to make my life difficult. I have terrible heart burn and indigestion daily. I can't see straight and it is very hard to focus(I am talking about even trying to read a book or text on a computer screen) I am getting what seems to be terrible migraines on a daily basis (or ones that last for days, if thats possible) I have a terrible dizziness that comes and goes as well as anxiety. I have gone to my regular practitioner and I got some motion sickness meds as well as a nasal spray, neither of which seem to be helping at all. All the these things are happening constantly on a daily basis, getting worse and making work and life in general difficult to deal with. I have been told that a lot of things can stem off Sleep Apnea. Do any of these things sound consistent with it, or should I be looking to go to the doctor again? Its just last time seemed like it was no help at all and I am worried they will not have any answers for me.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Many of your problems can be caused by or aggravated by obstructive sleep apnea. Get tested and get treated first, and then deal with any persistent remaining problems.
These relaxation techniques will help you with sleep apnea and other problems.  Do it with concentration and with eyes closed.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 10 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Ujjayi pranayam
First exhale fully through the nose.
During inhalation your glottis should remain partially closed. Glottis is the opening between the vocal chords.While inhaling, produce a sound as if you are sobbing, by partially closing the glottis.(This is reverse of clearing your throat, where your are exhaling).
The face muscles should not be contracted during inhalation. Abdominal muscles should be well controlled. Inhale smoothly and uniformly.
After deep inhalation, retain your breath as long as possible. While retaining breath do Jalandhara bandh (lock your chin, touch your chin with your chest).Initially, try to retain breath for 8 to 10 seconds. Gradually increase the time of retention of breath.
After retaining breath, first open the Jalandhar bandh(chin up) and then, close right nostril and exhale slowly through left nostril. The glottis should all along remain partially closed.This is one set of ujjayi.
Do this for 5 to 20 times everyday.
Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 10 times

The sleep apnea problem will ease gradually, so allow a few weeks to notice benefits.
Please come back to report your progress, so others may benefit.