Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Numbness and pain after CPAP

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Numbness and pain after CPAP

Had sleep apnea for 20 years. Got a CPAP machine and after the first night, I woke up with numbness on my left side. Arms and leg. ER Dr said I did not have a stroke. Pain developed after that  (left side only) when I awoke in the am and stretched. So I stopped stretching.
Pain went away after 3 weeks. but now I have pitting edema on the left leg by the ankles. Some on the right leg but mainly the left. I am sleeping OK with ethe CPAPA machine but how do I fix the edema. When I press down on the left ankle it leaves a dent.
Checked for mold from the CPAP and found mold in the machine - 3 types. Changed out the machine for another model. That works ok but I still have the edema. Going on  a year now and no fix to the edema. Can you help?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I've never heard of such a thing after CPAP use. If it is from CPAP, it could be due to cardiovascular changes and blood flow. There are various vascular syndromes where only one arm is affected. Talk to your doctor about this for possible referral to a specialist. But before doing this, you should undergo a thorough medical evaluation.