Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Recent episodes

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Recent episodes

HI, my name is Josh and I'm 18 years old. For the past week and a half I've been experiencing frequent episodes of waking up in the middle of the night gasping for air. Sometimes up to 6 episodes in one night. Almost to the point where I'm either scared to go back to sleep, fearing that I wont wake up because I'll stop breathing or just because by the time i finally fall asleep its time to get up again. I have panic attacks, not often, and high anxiety. I was recently told by my doctor that my tonsils where so large that they were almost touching. Not sure whats causing this. Sleep Apnea or the tonsils, or a combination of both. All I want to do is sleep at night.

Thank You,

Josh
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It sounds like you're having obstructive episodes. If a pause lasts for 10 seconds or greater, that's called an apnea. Even if you stop breathing for 1-5 seconds and then wake up, it can be a scary experience. You should see an ENT doctor about your tonsils. You may also consider undergoing a sleep study.