Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Severe sleep disturbance
About This Forum:

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Severe sleep disturbance

Hello, I am currently 100 lbs over weight,  32/male.   I have had this problem even when I was just 40 lbs over weight.    One thing,  I had a sleep study and was told my apnea events were not severe enough even for a CPAP machine.    What had been happening was that I would wake up feeling unable to breath and with an extremely fast pulse.   I had a heart monitor on that picked up a rate of 162 but as soon as I wake up good it stops and I am fine.    But here lately, I've been waking up multiple times with the sense that I'm dying in my sleep, usually a feeling related to breathing or my brain shutting down... but it goes away when I wake up good.   It seems to usually always happen within the first hour or two after falling asleep.    I also have non-24 hour sleep wake cycle, a free running sleeper with a flip flopping sleep cycle from one week to the next.  I have had this problem for 15 years, and is uncontrollable.  

Please tell me what you would make of these things.  Why am I waking up with these feelings?  Can it hurt me?   I have also had other medical tests,  such as echocardiogram, EKG, stress test, mltiple blood tests,  MRI of the head due to headaches...nothing to explain my symptoms.  I take no medications, and have no diagnosis related to this.