Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Sinus & upper respiratory infection from CPAP

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

I believe that cleaning the mask & hose with vinegar & water isnt cutting it. This is my 3rd attemp to get use to the cpap. I do very well with the machine itself, but then in 3 days- I have been getting a sinus & or upper resperitory infection.

Im sure this is caused my bacteria. Is there a better way to clean this thing after each use ? Is there some sort of solution or spray I can use that is better than vinegar & warm water ?
Thanks.
Unless you have frank pus coming from your nose, it's likely that what you're feeling is not a true sinus infection, but a variation of a migraine in your sinuses, due to the pressure irritation from CPAP. This can give you sinus pain, pressure, post-nasal drip and congestion. Did you ever try using a Neti-pot or any other saline irrigation system nightly?
I wash my humidiifier box both the plastic top and the alluminum bottom, my 6 foot hose and my face mask in my bathroom sink with Ajax Dishwashing soap and hot well warm water then everything is taken apart. I lay a towell on my bed and lay the peices on it and let them air dry befor I put this back to gether. JL