Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Sleep study needed?

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Sleep study needed?

Hello Dr. Park,

I hope you are well.  I have a father who has sleep apena pretty badly.  One of my doctors had me preform a sleep study test and I was fine.  However, that was 3 years ago.  My weight has increased and I was recently in the hospitial with some pretty bad pain which I thought was appendix.  While I was there the ER doctor noted that when I would fall asleep due to the pain meds that my O2 level would fall to about 80 or so.  The nurse would wake me up and everything would be fine.  The doctor said I had sleep apnea.  I am unsure about that my understanding of sleep apnea was the body waking itself up due to lack of oxygen.  Granted I didn't go to medical school.  

My question is do you agree with the ER doctor my O2 stats dropping that low when I sleep is a sign of sleep apnea?  I was not flat when I would fall asleep the bed was propped and I was on my back.  Typically I do sleep on my side.  However, I have been told I do snore alot.  I typically don't nap during the day or feel like I need more sleep when I wake up (although like most people I hate waking up in the morning.)  

Thank you for your time.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
If you gained significant weight, then it's likely you've progressed into sleep apnea. If your oxygen levels are dropping in to the 80's, that's even more reason to undergo another sleep study. You inherited your father's anatomy, so you're at risk, especially if you gain weight.
Yeah I would say I have gained about 75 pounds since my last one.  I thank you for your time Dr. Park.  Have a great day and try not to work to hard!