Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Startle Reflex when falling a sleep and sometime in day

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

I am 45 years old, and been on antidepressents for nearly 15 years die to anziety and OCD,  The first 8 years was Zoloft, then the doctor switched me to Prozac due to sudden side-effects of Zoloft (light headed, unfocused, startle).  Now recetly (the last 2 weeks) I have noticed some disturbing synmptoms and was wondering if it might be the Prozac.  I get these startling feelings in the day and wehen I am trying to fall aslepp.  When falling asleep what will happen is I will almost be out and all the sudden I make a gurgling urghhhh noise (according to my wife) in my sleep and wake up in a panic. Sometimes this happens when I am on an airplane and real tired, in that I will doze off on the plane and wake up in a crazy jerking motion making an urgh noise - it is embaraasing.  Addtionally, in the last couple of weeks I have noticed a high level of sensetivity towards noise and dramatic events (someone making a noise in the house, watching a football game and getting cuaght up in the moment of of close play) that cause me to get that startle or almost euforia feeling.  Any idea as to if these could be related to Prozac.  I am going to see my doctor this week - and I expect he might shift me to a new med to try.

The past two nights the only way I have been able to get to sleep is take the cough medicine I have been provided by a doctor for my cold (it has Codine in it).  I think it relaxes me enough to let nme sleep through the sudden startle.

thanks
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Based on your description of your symptoms, it sounds like you're having possible obstructive episodes. As you go into deeper levels of sleep, your muscles relax, and when you obstruct, you'll wake up suddenly within a second or two. If you stop breathing for 10 seconds or longer and then wake up, that's called an apnea. It doesn't sound like you're having a reaction to the Prozac. Your sleep-breathing problem may be progressing slowly. The codeine calms your nervous system so you won't wake up as quickly or suddenly. Based on your history of anxiety, and your likely inability to sleep on your back, you probably have a sleep-breathing disorder. Take a look at one of my earlier articles on anxiety and sleep position. You may want to see a sleep specialist.