Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Still sleepy after cpap use
About This Forum:

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Still sleepy after cpap use

I have been diagnosed with Mild to Moderate sleep apnea about 6 months ago. I was put on CPAP At a level of 10. I was still having trouble staying awake so my doctor put me on Nuvigil 150 mg daily. It helps but I'm convinced that it is not OSA that's making me so tired all of the time. My doctor tested me for Hep panel, Hiv, Complete blood count with liver panel, and also TSH and Glucose. Everything came out perfect is there anything else I need to request for testing or is it really my apnea causing this. I work 10 - 12 hour 3rd shift and my Doctor feels it's my apnea or night shift disorder. Is she correct?
Tags: TIRED, sleepy
Related Discussions
Banttol made some great suggestions. However, sometimes, you can treat sleep apnea perfectly and have excellent compliance and still feel tired and lethargic. If your data card confirms that everything is optimal, give it some more time, as bantool suggested. Talk with your sleep doctor about this issue. However,  two other considerations are chronic fatigue syndrome and hormonal imbalances.
1 Comment
Blank
Your CPAP machine should have a card inserted in the back that contains a variety of readings going back over time. Your CPAP technician can download the data from the card to his/her computer and take a look at a lot of what is going on with you while you're sleeping. Your pressure might need an adjustment. Also, I take it you've been on the CPAP for more than six weeks. As I understand it, it can take that long for the effects of the CPAP to be felt, i.e. better alertness, lack of sleepiness during the day. Everyone I know who has gotten onto the CPAP speaks to the wealth of improvement they feel. Unfortunately, it's a real chore getting used to using one. It takes patience and commitment.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank