Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Untreated Sleep Apnea

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Untreated Sleep Apnea

I had just about every surgery know to man for sleep apnea  and had no luck.  I had rny bypass i weigh 170 lbs now and my sleep apnea got worse. My last surgery was on upper and lower jaws and chin.  I still have severy sleep apnea.  I cant use cpap or bipap machine that is why I had surgery's.  Everytime I go to sleep doctor he says cpap so I quit going to him.  Is there any thing that can be done?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, your only option is a tracheotomy, which is close to 100% curative. You may want to consider it.
In answer to 'is there anything that can be done for sleep apnea':
These relaxation techniques will help you with sleep apnea naturally. Do it with concentration and with eyes closed.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 10 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Ujjayi pranayam
First exhale fully through the nose.
During inhalation your glottis should remain partially closed. Glottis is the opening between the vocal chords.While inhaling, produce a sound as if you are sobbing, by partially closing the glottis.(This is reverse of clearing your throat, where your are exhaling).
The face muscles should not be contracted during inhalation. Abdominal muscles should be well controlled. Inhale smoothly and uniformly.
After deep inhalation, retain your breath as long as possible. While retaining breath do Jalandhara bandh (lock your chin, touch your chin with your chest).Initially, try to retain breath for 8 to 10 seconds. Gradually increase the time of retention of breath.
After retaining breath, first open the Jalandhar bandh(chin up) and then, close right nostril and exhale slowly through left nostril. The glottis should all along remain partially closed.This is one set of ujjayi.
Do this for 5 to 20 times everyday.
The sleep apnea problem will ease gradually, so allow a few weeks to notice benefits.
Please come back to report your progress, so others may benefit.