Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Uvula Surgery

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Uvula Surgery
My husband suffers from sleep apnea and his snoring over the past 2 years has become very challenging to sleep with.  He had the pillar implants and surgery for his deviated septum and still snores a lot.  He recently took a sleep test and his ENT doctor diagnosed him as still suffering from sleep apnea.  Should he now go and have the Uvula removed and will this help him?  He feels his nasal passages have greatly improved since the deviated septum surgery but the snoring is still a big problem.  He has always worn the dental mouth guard that pulls his jaw forward and claims this helps too.  

Are there any other options other than the Uvula being removed?   For 3 years we were fine sleeping together but the past 2 years his snoring is waking me up all thru the night. He wants a second oponion and I desperately want to sleep in the same bed as my husband someday soon!!!!!

Thank you.

Taking out the uvula or part of the soft palate (called a uvulopalatopharyngoplasty) may help the snoring, but won't cure his obstructive sleep apnea. This is because he also has tongue involvement. This is why the dental device helps somewhat. By pulling the jaw forward, it also pulls the tongue forward, opening up his breathing passages. Has he tried CPAP? Has his dental device ever been adjusted? Take a look at my article on sleep apnea.