Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Uvulectomy and pillar?

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Uvulectomy and pillar?

Have been snoring loudly for about four years. Two sleep studies have confirmed sleep apnea. My wife and I seldom wake up in the same room together due to the snoring. I tried several CPAP machines and half a dozen masks but was unable to tolerate them.  Due to sinus congestion, I am a mouth breather and simply could not keep a mask on through the night.     Recently visited a doc who does the pillar procedure.  He saw the size of my uvula and suggested a uvulectomy along with the pillar procedure.  After that is done he wants to scope my nose and see if he can get me breathing through my nose.  Does this sound like a good course of action?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
My recommendation is to first take care of your nasal congestion. Having a stuffy nose will promote more obstructions downstream. You may even be able to tolerate and benefit from CPAP afterwards. The Pillar procedure alone is not that great at treating sleep apnea, since most people with sleep apnea have major tongue collapse. Take a look at my free reports on snoring and sleep apnea surgery here: http://doctorstevenpark.com. I go into everything in much more detail.
I read an article in the San Francisco Chronicle about treatments for snoring and sleep apnea and I watched the snoring clinic's testimonials on YouTube as well (just search for the clinic's name).  Hopefully that will help with your decision.

The article is entitled, "Say Goodnight to Snoring with simple surgeries," . It goes in depth about some of the treatments now available in San Francisco medical clinic, http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/08/16/DDP81ERBM5.DTL