Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
What on Earth is going on?

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

What on Earth is going on?

When I sleep on my stomach I always get frozen so I can’t wake up. I can feel the pillow against my cheek and hear what’s around me but my eyes are still closed. I feel very nervous and have a hard time breathing when this happens. I don’t know if its anxiety that’s doing this or if I’m actually struggling to breath because of the position I’m in. I usually count to 10 and try to jerk myself awake, after 2 or 3 attempts it normally works. (Sometimes I’ll be so exhausted afterward I won’t have the energy to roll over and this event will repeat 2 or 3 times before I get pissed and force myself to turn over on my side.)

Sometimes my mind will play tricks on me and I’ll hear the TV on or somebody talking but when I wake up the house is silent.

I’m tempted to say it’s sleep paralysis but aren’t your eyes always open when that happens? My only other theory is it’s just a normal dream that’s being sly and being very convincing that I’m actually awake and frozen but I’m not.

It sounds like a variation of sleep paralysis. If it continues and is affecting your quality of life, see a sleep physician.