Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Why do my legs "jump" involentarilly?

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Why do my legs "jump" involentarilly?

Consistantly i notice that when i'm fallinf/dosing off to sleep in my bed and the lights in my room are still on (because i'm not offically read for bed) right before i hit unconsciousness i feel, but i have no control over, my legs jump up as though i'm sleeping and they're trying to regain my balance. what does this mean? is this normal?
Avatar dr m tn
I agree, it does sound like restless leg syndrome. If you look at the RLS Foundation's information brochure (http://www.rls.org/Document.Doc?&id=766), you'll find much more information on this subject. Are you still tired when you wake up in the morning? You could also have periodic limb movement disorder, which is related, but distinct from PLS. A consultation with a sleep doctor is a consideration if the conservative options in the brochure is not helpful.
sounds kind of like RLS - Restless Leg Syndrom (syndrome).. but i dont konw usually its uncomfortable and annoying and people cant sleep if its that. i dont konw much about it just saw a comercial on it.
Avatar n tn
My legs jump around all night long, hundreds of times a night, but I only notice them as I am falling asleep. I do not have restless leg syndrome, I have periodic leg movements. It is not a disorder because the leg movements do not wake me up after I fall asleep. I got this problem after developing neurological problems. If you are tired during the day, then you should talk to your doctor about having a sleep study. The leg movements can wake you up at night, and you could not even remember it!
A related discussion, legs jumping was started.