Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Woke up chocking. Why?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Woke up chocking. Why?

I am 72 years old, about 20 lbs overweight.  Woke up really chocking to death. I just could not catch my breath.  I thought I was about to pass out.  I kept coughing & grasping for air.  After a horrible experince I was ok after abount five minutes. Went to see my doctor the next day, could not fine anything wrong with me.  He taught I might have sleep epnea.  I am going for testing next Monday.  Has any one out there had this kind of frighting experience due to Sleep Epnea?
Related Discussions
This is a very common experience in people with sleep apnea. In people over 60, 60% of men have sleep apnea. Unfortunately, many people who tell their doctors about this are told it's due to panic or anxiety attacks.
2 Comments
Blank
Hello, I am scheduled to have a tonsillectomy,UP3, septoplasty, and inferior turbinate reduction done next week (May 25th). After doing some research I'm not finding many success with the UP3.
This is what i've found:
1.Drainage of secretions into the nose and a nasal quality to the voice.
2.Patients who have had the uvula removed will become unable to correctly speak French or any other language that has a uvular 'r' phoneme.
3.Nasal regurgitation
4.Choking easily
5. Re-growth of the soft palate
6.No change

I'm now pretty nervous about having the proceedure done and wanted to get your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Michelle
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank