Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
a/pap user still not well.

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

a/pap user still not well.

I visited a heart specialist for my palpitations and fatigue.I was diagnosed with arrhythmia and the heart specialist thought it could have been caused by osa.I was tested by an ent specialist and found this to be correct.
Using a remstar auto m series with a flex a/pap machine but still had little improvement. I then had a sleep polygram which showed that my osa was around 13 but by the time the a/pap reacted and tried to correct from zero I had an osa so they set the machine to maintain pressure of 10  to correct this problem.
After using the a/pap for every night for almost 1 year When I wake up I always feel sick till around mid morning, muzzy headed and I feel so tired I want to go back to bed after averaging having had 10 hours sleep.
On the occasions that I have gone back to bed and go to sleep but when I wake I always feel worse., more muzzy headed and bad palpitations
It is as if one part of me says "your sleep has not refreshed you need to go back to sleep to correct this."
the other part of me says "you have had too much sleep and taking even more makes me feel worse"
I force myself to have a shower and usually brighten up considerably but by 5.p.m. I cannot keep my eyes open , but I know if I go for a nap when I wake I will feel very ill when I wake, again very muzzy headed and bad palpitations.

As a test I have not worn my a/pap for  one night  and feel even worse in the morning so this is obviously helping but is not the complete answer.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Do you have data recording abilities on your machine? If so, what is the effective AHI, the leak rate and the number of hours used? Does it give any other data such as RERAs, flow limitation, or central apneas? Have you mentioned this to your sleep doctor? If your pressure is on the high side, perhaps a BiPAP machine may help (where the expiratory pressure is much lower than inspiration).