Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
deviated septum

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

deviated septum

Hi!  I have severe fatigue and sleepiness and had a sleep study that showed that during 5.75 hours of sleep I had  5 hypopneas per hour and 33 spontaneous arousals per hour.  I was told that in no way did I have a sleep disorder or a breathing disorder.  
I don't have any typical allergy or GERD symptoms but I recently I went to an ENT who told me I had one of the most severely deviated septums she's ever seen.  She also saw signs of acid reflux and post nasal drip/congestion.  

It seems to me the sleep study was flawed, to say the least.  Would a severely deviated septum contribute to frequent sleep disturbances, and if so would surgery to correct the deviated septum be sensible?  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Yes, and no. If you have chronic nasal congestion, then treating your deviated nasal septum can definitely help you to breathe better through your nose, and there's even a small chance that it may help your sleep breathing problem. Take a look at my upper airway resistance syndrome article on on my blogs on this site. You can stop breathing and wake up 20 times per hour and not have any apneas whatsoever. This is a flaw in the sleep study scoring system.

So for the sake of breathing better through your nose, it's probably worthwhile to do something definitive for your deviated septum. However, if you don't have any nasal congestion, then al this is a moot point.  After the nose is address (if necessary), your problem is more likely due to your tongue. This is why you can't or prefer not to sleep on your back. The article on UARS explains this in great detail. It also explains your chronic fatigue.