Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
does my son have sleep apnea

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

does my son have sleep apnea

My son has been diagnosed with asperger syndrome, adhd and a nonverbal learning disability.  With all this going on, it never really occured to me that perhaps his sleep talking may be something entirely different.  He talks in his sleep almost every night.  He is usually yelling at someone to get out or else he is scared of something.  He has been doing it for his whole life.  He is now 21.  Most of the time he is extremely lazy with no energy or ambition and will lie just to get you off his back.  It just recently occured to me that perhaps he is not getting the sleep he needs because of his sleep talking and is simply barely getting by on a low energy level.  His sleep talking doesn' t seem to fit with either asperger syndrome or adhd.  Sleep apnea runs in our family.  My father in law and my husband's brother both have it and use machines.  Can you shed some light on this?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Everything you mentioned is consistent with your son possibly having obstructive sleep apnea. It starts when you're a young child. It's been shown that sleep waking, talking and eating may be related to obstructive sleep apnea. Maybe you should have him see a sleep doctor.