Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
hashimotos and sleep apnea?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

hashimotos and sleep apnea?

Hello,

I am a 28 year old female. I was dx with hashimoto's thyroiditis about 5 years ago. Over the past few months I have been experiencing something strange; my body will "jump" out of a sound sleep and immediatly take a breath, this continuously happens and I am unable to get restful sleep. I wake up and I am completley out of breath just for a moment, then I breath, start to fall back asleep, and it happens all over again. It feels like I am forgetting to breath when I'm asleep? Also I do not snore so it is not "obstructive" sleep apnea. Could this be sleep apnea?
Related Discussions
You don't have to snore or be overweight to have significant obstructive sleep apnea. It sounds like you're having obstructive events. You can stop breathing and wake up multiple times every hour and not be diagnosed with sleep apnea, since an apnea on a sleep study is defined as 10 second or longer pauses (and you need 5 apneas or hypopneas every hour for a diagnosis) But if you stop breathing 20 times every hour but wake up between 1 and 9 seconds, then you're told you don't have sleep apnea. Younger, thinner people tend to have these issues. Ultimately, it's your anatomy. Take a look at my articles on obstructive sleep apnea and upper airway resistance syndrome.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank