Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
heavy sleeping

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

heavy sleeping
I have a friend that has had 2 episodes of sleeping so sound that it took over 10 minutes for others to wake her up.  They were screaming, pushing on her, and picking her up out of bed.  One time her eyes were wide open.  She doesn't remember anything after this happens, but wakes up with no side effects (headaches, tiredness, etc)  She's getting concerned that there might be something wrong, since both times the people trying to wake her thought she was dead - that's how sound she was sleeping.  Any suggestions what it might be or what might be causing the problem?
I sounds like one of the parasomnias, where there is confusion in the sleep-wake transitions. Is your friend symptomatic during the day? Is she tired, or chronically fatigued? Does she have any medical problems? If there's any concern, a consultation with a sleep medicine doctor may be a consideration.